- US$ 25 million were spent in the AIDS 2008 – the XVII International AIDS Conference
- 8 per cent of the total budget is provided by pharmaceutical companies
- 10,500 abstracts were submitted
- 4,972 papers will be presented
- 103 later breaker abstracts will be presented
- 22,238 participants from 188 countries are expected for AIDS 2008
- 6,847 Latin Americans will be participating of AIDS 2008
“The nice thing of this conference is that it mixes everyone: scientists, leaders of community, people infected with HIV, etc etc”, Luis Soto Ramirez, co-chair of AIDS 2008, told a group of journalists.